WIP: Cruel Seas, Barrage Balloons Pt. 2

Carrying on from my re-basing of the British Bristol Beaufighter Mk Ic airplane for Cruel Seas, I’ve begun doing the same for my barrage balloons.

69421385_498221780724783_2849694235207139328_n

 

Advertisements

WIP: Late-War German Fallschirmjäger

Had a blast painting up a King Tiger recently, so I took the plunge and am getting ready to batch paint a late-war German Fallschirmjäger army. Experimenting with brick urban basing made from 1/48 styrene brick sheets. Need to pin and base all the metal minis next.

Showcase/Tutorial: Flak Bunker Terrain

Got excited by the new D-Day: Overlord campaign supplement book for Bolt Action and painted up a flak bunker this weekend. One more bunker to go and then it’s back to Stalingrad.

 


For airbrushing:

1. Primed black.
2. Trying to leave the recesses dark, I roughly filled in between them with Vallejo Model Air Anthrocite Grey. Exactly like you might do with modulation-style airbrushing of a tank, for instance – except, being terrain, with way less attention to neatness.
3. Similar process with Vallejo Model Air Stonewall Grey.
4. Sprayed all the concrete’s damaged spots with a light mist of black.
5. All over drybrush with GW’s dry paint Wrack White, paying particular attention to hard edges and the damaged sections where fresher concrete might show through.
6. Painted the exposed rebar damage black and then GW’s Typhus Corrosion.
7. For the ladder, door, etc. I did the same followed by a quick stippling of a metallic silver.

For washes:

1. I went around working section by section. First I wet the relevant working surface to avoid tide marks and then applied a wash made up of an eyeballed mixture of black paint, dark green paint, water, and airbrush flow improver as a wash. I kept paper towel handy to dab off excess.
2. For all the damaged concrete and edges where I wanted rain marks, I wet the surface with water as before and then applied agrax earthshade in a downward motion and feathered/wiped it off as desired.

For the base:
1. It’s cut from thick styrene sheet.
2. I put down vallejo texture paste and then sprinkled rocks and sand as i saw fit.
3. Primed black.
4. I then painted it all over with a cheap dollar store acrylic chocolate’ish brown.
5. A quick drybrush of Vallejo Model Air Stonewall Grey (if I remember correctly).
6. Applied some Army Painter Mountain Tuft.
7. Brushed on some PVA/water mixture and sprinkled on a couple different flocks I had kicking around (Gale Force 9’s MarshBlend static grass, followed by GW’s grass flock).

The only other relevant modification I made to the kit is replacing some of the steel ladder railing with a brass rod as the plastic was breaking just from looking at it wrong.

WIP: Project Stalingrad, Scatter Terrain Rubble

Too rainy outside to prime buildings, so here are some work-in-progress pictures of scatter terrain rubble piles for placing up against the sidewalls of buildings. For today, a wrecked Kübelwagen (Tamiya, 1/48) – more pieces to come. Just needs some bullet holes drilled in and primer, then it’s on to painting.

Showcase: Cruel Seas Airplane Re-Basing

Apologies for the iPhone photos. Wasn’t happy with the base that came with the British Bristol Beaufighter Mk Ic airplane from the Royal Navy Fleet box for Cruel Seas, so I decided to try something different. 1/8″ acrylic rod superglued into a drilled out 60mm MDF base. Applied some layers of Vallejo Water Effects Texture (Pacific Blue) over airbrushed blues, then I added some washes and highlights for waves. My first attempt at water effects, so I’m happy with the results. Still need to finish painting that boat though!

WIP: Cruel Seas Royal Navy Ships and Re-Based Plane

Wasn’t happy with the base that came with the airplane from the Royal Navy Fleet box for Cruel Seas, so I decided to try something different. 1/8″ acrylic rod superglued into a drilled out 60mm MDF base. Applied some layers of Vallejo Water Effects Texture (Pacific Blue) over airbrushed blues. Two layers so far with some wash and highlights applied between them. Needs some more highlights and wash after the next coat dries clear.