Showcase/Tutorial: Flak Bunker Terrain

Got excited by the new D-Day: Overlord campaign supplement book for Bolt Action and painted up a flak bunker this weekend. One more bunker to go and then it’s back to Stalingrad.

 


For airbrushing:

1. Primed black.
2. Trying to leave the recesses dark, I roughly filled in between them with Vallejo Model Air Anthrocite Grey. Exactly like you might do with modulation-style airbrushing of a tank, for instance – except, being terrain, with way less attention to neatness.
3. Similar process with Vallejo Model Air Stonewall Grey.
4. Sprayed all the concrete’s damaged spots with a light mist of black.
5. All over drybrush with GW’s dry paint Wrack White, paying particular attention to hard edges and the damaged sections where fresher concrete might show through.
6. Painted the exposed rebar damage black and then GW’s Typhus Corrosion.
7. For the ladder, door, etc. I did the same followed by a quick stippling of a metallic silver.

For washes:

1. I went around working section by section. First I wet the relevant working surface to avoid tide marks and then applied a wash made up of an eyeballed mixture of black paint, dark green paint, water, and airbrush flow improver as a wash. I kept paper towel handy to dab off excess.
2. For all the damaged concrete and edges where I wanted rain marks, I wet the surface with water as before and then applied agrax earthshade in a downward motion and feathered/wiped it off as desired.

For the base:
1. It’s cut from thick styrene sheet.
2. I put down vallejo texture paste and then sprinkled rocks and sand as i saw fit.
3. Primed black.
4. I then painted it all over with a cheap dollar store acrylic chocolate’ish brown.
5. A quick drybrush of Vallejo Model Air Stonewall Grey (if I remember correctly).
6. Applied some Army Painter Mountain Tuft.
7. Brushed on some PVA/water mixture and sprinkled on a couple different flocks I had kicking around (Gale Force 9’s MarshBlend static grass, followed by GW’s grass flock).

The only other relevant modification I made to the kit is replacing some of the steel ladder railing with a brass rod as the plastic was breaking just from looking at it wrong.

Advertisements

Showcase: Cruel Seas Airplane Re-Basing

Apologies for the iPhone photos. Wasn’t happy with the base that came with the British Bristol Beaufighter Mk Ic airplane from the Royal Navy Fleet box for Cruel Seas, so I decided to try something different. 1/8″ acrylic rod superglued into a drilled out 60mm MDF base. Applied some layers of Vallejo Water Effects Texture (Pacific Blue) over airbrushed blues, then I added some washes and highlights for waves. My first attempt at water effects, so I’m happy with the results. Still need to finish painting that boat though!

Tutorial: Bronze Statue

All-in-all, took about an hour (aside from dry times) to complete.

  1. Stynylrez Black Primer
  2. VMC bronze airbrushed on leaving the recesses dark
  3. Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss all over, followed by Matte Varnish
  4. Drybrush of VMC Bronze and VMA Aluminum mixed
  5. Citadel Nihilahk Oxide applied selectively in recessed and watered down on the model
  6. VMA Dead White airbrushed from above
  7. Citadel Valhallan Blizzard applied lightly.
  8. The plinth was various greys airbrushed on with the above bronze effect applied to decorative bits.
  9. The basing follows my previous tutorial.

48385923_296716861033487_5225948470120022016_n

Tutorial: House Stark Winter Frost Basing

If you’re looking to do a similar basing scheme, here’s what I did:

vallejo terrain paste stuff (forget the name)
various cheap sands and rocks applied with PVA on top
50/50 pva and what applied to the sand after it dries
black primer
vallejo air anthrocite grey base coat
vallejo air stonewall grey in patches
Vallejo Air Light Sea Blue with the Stonewall Grey in more patches
vallejo air dead white in even more patches
the tufts are army painter winter (can’t remember the name) with some white drybrushed over them.
the directional arrow and slots were just a layer or two of P3 Frostbite applied with a brush after everything.
black paint around base rim
matt varnish

**I’ve painted my miniatures first here and wish I hadn’t. It is much faster and cleaner to first  get as much basing done as possible**

I paid special attention to ultimately keeping the base slots as clean of texturing elements as possible – the blunt end of tweezers were helpful for scraping off stray basing material without gouging the plastic too much. The WIP photo below is before cleaning and shows all the sand, etc. you don’t want sticking around in the base slots. I didn’t paint the individual miniature base rims black as I really wanted to try and have the smoothest possible transition between minis and tray basing.

I used an airbrush, but i’m sure a brush could produce similar results with little effort.

Another tutorial I highly suggest can be found here!