Base coats almost done on my Warehouse from TTCombat. My only annoyance with this (and all the other) kits from TTCombat is that the tabs holding the MDF spruces to the pieces are too large and require extra cleaning up. Brick work is Vallejo Black Red and Vallejo Game Air Scarlett Red airbrushed over. Concrete is a base coat of Vallejo Model Air Anthracite Grey followed by a highlight of that colour with what ivory/stone grey I had closest to me. Likely to use rattle cans for much of this in the future.
Perhaps my favourite terrain piece in a while is this “Guardians of Traffic” bridge from Multiverse Gaming. Yes, it’s based on a bridge in the United States; however, I think it will fit in perfectly with any 20th century pulp games and even Bolt Action scenarios set in industrial centres. I might cut out a removable Stalin portrait to tuck into the little box at the centre of the railing and include the bridge in a future Stalingrad board. Properly weathered, I expect the bridge to look great on the table!
Finally, as always, I went a little wild buying up street lamps once I saw Christmas decorations had made their way into the dollar store. I can never resist. Clipped off the LED switch boxes each lamp came with and mounted them all to extra 20mm Bolt Action bases I had laying around. The lamps are all in need of some quick basing and weathering if I ever feel motivated; however, it’s great finding dollar store terrain that is ready to add to my collection of scatter terrain right out of the box.
I’m seeing this Soviet “Production Hall” from Terrains4Games as a future purchase. Hard to resist!
More terrain for post-apocalyptic good times.
Printed out a checkered pattern from Google and cut to shape for the floor. The floor paper is not glued down, both in preparation for painting and in case I decide to switch it out for something else.
Thought the rooftops looked a little plain, so I glued on corrugated paper in anticipation of painted them up to look like weathered, corrugated steel. Certainly not loving the MDF gas pumps – might need to order some resin bits the next time I’m feeling rich.
In hindsight, I wish I had not glued down the roof supports yet. I’m considering adding sandpaper to replicate asphalt and it will make it considerably harder to do the support beam there.
What undead apocalypse is complete without a spooky graveyard? Still trying to decide whether I want to go through the effort of more properly basing the tree armatures. If so, I’ll need to figure out a way to attach some moss or something to the trees.
Is it a billboard? Is it a drive-in-movie screen? Who knows. I finally got around to painting this scratch-built piece of terrain though.
What I did:
Poster image found on Google (here).
Resized image in Photoshop and printed off on a standard colour printer.
Glued it onto an old warhammer movement tray with dollar-store glue stick.
Airbrushed the hell out of the poster with varnish in the hopes it would stay put.
Dollar store dowelling for posts.
Some balsa sticks for the rest.
Tore off a corner of the poster.
Airbrush, washing, and drybrush with whatever looked like it would work.
Graffiti was just done freehand.
Base made out of same, old warhammer movement tray.
Grass tufts, vallejo earth goop, washes, and quick drybrush.
A repainted eBay special that works great for an oil tanker truck or semi-truck.
I’ve had these cars from Mantic sitting in the to-do pile (aka. shame) for over a year. Reading through Osprey’s new skirmish game, Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse, finally got motivated enough to give them a quick and dirty paint job. Experimented with some different weathering ideas and the results were hit-and-miss.