Gave Jyn Erso a quick paintjob. Thought I’d try going oldschool and putting away the airbrush and sticking to the brushes!
Apologies for the iPhone photos. Wasn’t happy with the base that came with the British Bristol Beaufighter Mk Ic airplane from the Royal Navy Fleet box for Cruel Seas, so I decided to try something different. 1/8″ acrylic rod superglued into a drilled out 60mm MDF base. Applied some layers of Vallejo Water Effects Texture (Pacific Blue) over airbrushed blues, then I added some washes and highlights for waves. My first attempt at water effects, so I’m happy with the results. Still need to finish painting that boat though!
Wasn’t happy with the base that came with the airplane from the Royal Navy Fleet box for Cruel Seas, so I decided to try something different. 1/8″ acrylic rod superglued into a drilled out 60mm MDF base. Applied some layers of Vallejo Water Effects Texture (Pacific Blue) over airbrushed blues. Two layers so far with some wash and highlights applied between them. Needs some more highlights and wash after the next coat dries clear.
Motivated by a club event this past weekend, I spent the night re-basing and touching up my Bolt Action Soviet army. Went with a winter urban theme to suit my ongoing Stalingrad terrain project. Better photos to come in the near future.
Slowly but surely painting up my Rebel’s for Star Wars Legion. Finished up a quick and dirty paint job on a 1.4 FD Laser Cannon Team.
All-in-all, took about an hour (aside from dry times) to complete.
- Stynylrez Black Primer
- VMC bronze airbrushed on leaving the recesses dark
- Citadel Nuln Oil Gloss all over, followed by Matte Varnish
- Drybrush of VMC Bronze and VMA Aluminum mixed
- Citadel Nihilahk Oxide applied selectively in recessed and watered down on the model
- VMA Dead White airbrushed from above
- Citadel Valhallan Blizzard applied lightly.
- The plinth was various greys airbrushed on with the above bronze effect applied to decorative bits.
- The basing follows my previous tutorial.
A metal Lenin statue from eBay painted up for use as a terrain piece and/or objective marker. Forgot I had this lingering work in progress sitting on the shelf of shame and decided to give it a quick paint job.
My third attempt at painting Soviet statues (see first here, see second here) and I really tried to emphasize a winter aesthetic with this one. Still looking for a way to effectively show frost … considering using Titanium White pigment powder by Vallejo in the future.
Sadly, my iPhone apparently hates focusing on the state itself …
Tried something a little different and left the metallics glossy. Might go back and matte varnish – haven’t decided. Airbrush air valve needed replacing, so the banner (and correct banner colours) still need to be done; however, I am calling these done for the time being.
Hobby tip: discovered (by accident) that, with a little gentle coaxing, the shield and shield-wielding-forearm pop off of the sculpts. Made for easier painting, both brush and airbrush. A bit of trimming and they slotted back in and were adhered with superglue. Results may vary, so no promises this won’t ruin your models! Worked for me though.
Included a Stark family portrait of progress so far.
Winter is coming …